SPECIAL TUNING FORK TEST FOR MALINGERING / NON- ORGANIC DEAFNESS
1.Stenger’s test: It is based on the principle that if two equal/ identical sounds strike on the healthy ears, the individual hears it in only one ear – the one in proximity to the sound. Stenger’s Chimani Moos Teal test
Procedure : The patient is blindfolded and the examiner holds two similar tuning forks (512) struck with moderate intensity and held at 25 cm from each ear. The malingerer hears in the normal ear only. The fork on the deaf side is advanced by 3 inches towards the ear. A malingerer does not hear the sound at all.
2. Chimani Moos test: This test is a modification of the Weber test to detect non-organic hearing loss. If a tuning fork is placed on the forehead, the malingerer states that he hears the sound in his good ear (simulating sensorineural deafness). If the meatus of the good ear is occluded, the truly deaf patient still hears the sound in the occluded ear but the malingerer will pretend that he is not able to hear the sound at all.
3. Teal test: It is used in patients who claim to hear only by bone conduction.
Stenger’s Chimani Moos Teal test Stenger’s Chimani Moos Teal test Stenger’s Chimani Moos Teal test
——— End of the chapter ———
- Scott-Brown, Textbook of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery.
- Glasscock-Shambaugh, Textbook of Surgery of the Ear.
- Logan Turner, Textbook of Diseases of The Nose, Throat and Ear Head And Neck Surgery.
- Rob and smith, Textbook of Operative surgery.
- P L Dhingra, Textbook of Diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat.
- Hazarika P, Textbook of Ear Nose Throat And Head Neck Surgery Clinical Practical.
- Mohan Bansal, Textbook of Diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat Head and Neck surgery.
- Anirban Biswas, Textbook of Clinical Audio-vestibulometry.
- W. Arnold, U. Ganzer, Textbook of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Salah Mansour, Textbook of Comprehensive and Clinical Anatomy of the Middle Ear.
- Susan Standring, Gray’s Anatomy.
- Ganong’s Review of Medical Physiology.
Dr. Rahul Kumar Bagla
MS & Fellow Rhinoplasty & Facial Plastic Surgery.
Associate Professor & Head
GIMS, Greater Noida, India
Please read. Glomus Tumour. https://www.entlecture.com/glomus-tumour/
Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Rahul.Bagla.UCMS
Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/628414274439500